More Specifically, What We Do...
Michael Borish and Company, Inc. is engaged in several areas of business activity that include public and private sector work around the globe. Functional activities broadly include:
- Financial and Business Sector Analysis: These evaluations are conducted by sector, country and/or region, and are measured against peer and global performance benchmarks. They can also be done on a firm-specific basis.
- Strategic Planning for Businesses and Organizations: These efforts are based on market assessments, product/service offerings, financial scenarios based on sensitivity analyses, and recommendations. Recommendations are subject to SWOT analyses, while market assessments generally focus on risks, gaps and vulnerabilities.
- Research and Dissemination: These outputs are generally through publications in internationally recognized journals and/or in conjunction with the World Bank and bilateral donors.
More specifically, these activities involve:
For more information, please visit our Publications page.
Banking and Financial Sector Diagnostics.These evaluations take account of banking and financial sector indicators according to capital, asset quality, earnings, liquidity, market and related risk considerations, banking sector structure and systems profiles, financial sector infrastructure, and economic indicators. Diagnostics have been carried out in more than 20 countries, in some cases on multiple occasions to monitor for progress on a time series basis. Includes...
- 28 sub-categories.
More than 200 data sets.
Rating system to provide quantitative and qualitative evaluations.
Comparative assessment by peer group on a regional and global scale.
- Structural Adjustment Operations.
Most consulting in this area has focused on banking and financial sector reforms and private sector development. These activities have primarily focused on the transition countries of Europe and Central Asia. Includes…
Policy reform at the bank and enterprise level.
Restructuring and privatization in the enterprise sector.
Banking sector restructuring and consolidation.
Improvements in the business environment to stimulate investment and sustainable growth.
- Emergency Lines of Credit.
Michael Borish and Company, Inc. has been involved in several post-conflict scenarios in which the design and implementation of lines of credit were essential for early reconstruction efforts. Such lines of credit have been designed and successfully implemented in Bosnia-Herzegovina (both Entities) and Kosovo. Includes...
- Design to provide needed lending to small- and medium-sized enterprises on a commercial basis.
- Financing vehicle consistent with sound, prudent commercial bank underwriting criteria.
- Bank incentives that are consistent with market-based prudential norms, terms that are serviceable for enterprises, and advisory services that are available to assist businesses.
- Housing and Mortgage Finance.
Consulting in the housing and mortgage finance sector has involved assessments of institutional development, policy, and market depth. In addition to several global assessments for USAID and the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation, specific reviews and strategies have been conducted in Bangladesh, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Ukraine , Serbia and FYR Macedonia. Includes... .
- Housing and commercial property development trends.
- Extent of financing from the banking sector and capital markets (including issuance of mortgage bonds and degrees of securitization).
- Tax policy and incentives.
- Local government capacity for infrastructure and property assessments.
- Mortgage default insurance.
- General requirements for medium- and long-term development.
- Comparative developments across countries to identify performance targets and benchmarks.
- Rural Finance.
Consulting has involved working with farmers' associations, NGOs/PVOs and bankers to develop credit framework agreements, export financing mechanisms, and project development...
- Capacity comes from two years of on-site rural finance work and several years of continuous consulting assignments thereafter in Africa and transition Europe.
- Specific investments and project design have occurred in Ghana, Romania and Bosnia-Herzegovina.
SME Finance and Micro-Finance.
Significant work has been done in the design and implementation of lines of credit and guarantee funds in support of SME development. Work in these fields has been carried out in Africa, the Caribbean, Central Europe and the Caucasus. Includes... .
- Development of lines of credit in countries where banking systems have failed to function properly.
- Assessments of MFIs, cooperative banks and credit unions.
- Role and magnitude of micro-finance as part of the overall financial sector.
- Potential links between MFIs/cooperative financial institutions and larger financial institutions.
- Postal Banking.
While not a major portion of the company's business to date, the firm has worked under contract to direct a postal banking study in Afghanistan to assess the feasibility of that network for the provision of financial services. The assessment included a comprehensive review of postal financial services around the globe.
- Financial Analysis, Business Management and Strategic Planning.
This service is available for new and established companies. Involves...
- Originating business plans for start-up enterprises.
- Developing workout plans for troubled companies.
- Designing growth strategies for expanding companies.
- Customizing performance indicators to monitor company results relative to peers and sector norms.
- Combining Activity Based Costing techniques with financial analysis tools to develop customized outputs for improved management, from near-term recommendations all the way to comprehensive strategic plans.
Michael Borish and Company, Inc. has been involved in numerous research activities, with many publications for the World Bank and in prestigious journals in North America and Europe on private sector development, financial sector reform and the integration of ex-socialist economies with the European Union.
Relevance to Global Finance and Reform...
Michael Borish and Company, Inc. provides significant depth in a range of financial sector activities that can contribute to improved financial sector policy, strengthened institutions, and enhanced financial intermediation in support of savings, investment and private sector-led growth. We...
- Provide experienced specialists in financial sector policy, banking regulation and supervision, stock exchange development, securities markets commissions and (self-) regulation, financial instruments to increase resource mobilization through formal banking and financial institutions, and informal-formal financial links based on confidence-building mechanisms to increase savings and investment.
- Have developed a banking and financial sector rating system that has proved to be particularly effective in assessing financial infrastructure, banking sectors, and financial risks in countries and regions around the globe.
- Possess significant on-site experience from nearly 20 years of work in structural financial sector reform in transition Europe, Asia, Africa, the Middle East and the Caribbean
Relevance to Private Sector Development and Reform...
The expertise of Michael Borish and Company, Inc. in banking and financial sector development is backed by an additional six years of direct experience in rural finance, agricultural cooperative development, and private sector development work in Africa and transition Europe. Work has involved...
- Assessments of competitive strengths and weaknesses of national economies and the role to be played by more dynamic private sectors.
- Feasibility studies for new investments.
- Proposed new financing instruments for revitalized strategic sectors.
- On-site surveys to reconcile perceptions of the institutional environment with secondary studies.
- Debt-equity mobilization for cooperative organizations and small- and medium-sized enterprises.
- Movement to a knowledge-based economy.
- Design and implementation of lines of credit in emergency post-conflict scenarios.
Relevance to Public Sector Development and Reform...
The expertise of Michael Borish and Company, Inc. in financial and private sector development complements efforts to build sustainable budgetary financing foundations and viable civil institutions for broader economic development and social stability. Key activities have included...
- The role of prudent and appropriate regulations in banking and finance.
- Transparency and disclosure requirements by banks and enterprises for public review.
- Development of a viable fiscal base.
- Central-local government capacity issues.
- Governance standards.
- Legal and institutional framework.
- Public sector cost structure analyses.
- Movement to a knowledge-based economy.